Thursday, May 28, 2009

General Updates

This entry is just a general update of the family and not too exciting. Mostly I just wanted to get this all down for posterity. :)

I officially started classes again this Tuesday (Monday was Memorial Day). The work load is rough as I am reading about a chapter every other day plus extra reading assignments, quizzes, and cases. I will also have three exams during the next five weeks. The work load is fairly intense, but the subject matter is interesting, so it helps the work not seem too grueling. I have to apologize to my family, and especially my AMAZING husband who will have to bear more of my home duties, in addition to his own work and yard maintenance. How did I luck out to get such an awesome partner!?!

I am looking forward to participating in an externship at Deloitte next week. The two days I am in Las Vegas will help me see what it is like to work in an accounting firm and help me meet a bunch of people who work down in Deloitte's Vegas office. I'm very excited for the opportunity.

My accounting assistant here at SUU (student) graduated with his Bachelor's degree this spring and took a job up at the Tax Commission in Salt Lake. While I am really happy for his career to be progressing, I am nervous about the increased work load. My department is not replacing him due to budget cuts. It's going to be really busy this summer because summer is the busiest time for conferences and events on campus as well as in the accounting department with the end of year closing and new year budgets.

Enough about me, though. Andy is working hard at his job as well as working VERY hard to put in a front yard at our house. He has got a garden set up and waters it frequently. He has dug trenches all over our half acre to move the water to the back so we can landscape the front, he has been leveling out our back yard with the Bobcat we borrowed from my dad and grandpa, and it seems like each new project creates more projects... Hopefully we can get a front yard by the end of the summer.

Cambrie is learning more and more about reading and letters. She knows her letters VERY well and the sounds that go with each. She is starting to sound out words and spells words for me to interpret all the time.

Cambrie, over the last month or two, has been going through some behavior problems at school (preschool/daycare). She is good most weeks, but occasionally is acting VERY defiant and ignoring the direction of her teachers. Unfortunately, this behavior is sometimes exhibited at home as well. I know she is a very independent person and always has been, and I've tried to parent her with this consideration in mind, but lately it seems my tactics are not working. There is a girl at her school who is her friend and I can't help but speculate that some of the behaviors she is exhibiting are learned from this particular girl. If anyone has any tricks or references for parenting "spirited and independent" preschoolers, any advice would be welcome. :)

Calina is talking more and more every day. I understand most of what she says, but she's not to the point where anyone could understand her. She repeats most of the words I tell her, and I think she is doing very well for her age (I'm not biased at all). Calina's independence is blossoming as well. There are times she does NOT want to take her vitamins, to brush her teeth, or to get her diaper changed, but nothing that isn't age appropriate. She is a sweet little girl and has recently learned to give us kisses....it just melts your heart!!

Over and out from the Crosby's.

3 comments:

Tessa Marie said...

I didn't know they weren't replacing Johnny! That's too bad, I'm sorry.

On the brighter side though, how fun that Calina started giving kisses!!!

Krystal said...

Wow! Sounds like you are super busy. I don't know what classes you are taking, but I know for sure that whatever they are, I don't miss them! Good luck with everything!

The Morrells said...

Wow! You've definitely got a full plate! I bet you'll be glad when it's all over. Summer classes are hard when you have a family.
I'm hoping Jason gets our yard situated soon too. I'm so sick of pulling the weeds and of the kids bringing so much dirt into the house. Plus, that is where all of his free time goes lately and I'm getting kind of tired of it! I could use some help too...lol!
Your kids sound so grown up. That is pretty awesome that Calina is talking more and more. We're still struggling pretty bad with Kaysen. He's definitely going to need some speech therapy after not hearing properly for the first 18 months of his life. Cambrie sounds smart and very independent. I think a lot of that comes with being the oldest and just different stages. I don't really have much advice there. I know you and Andy do great with your girls. I would just keep doing what you're doing and keep reinforcing your rules and of course staying consistent with it...otherwise it's not worth any of the effort. I'm sure you know that though...lol! That's pretty much a given with kids.
We are probably going to be coming to Cedar City the last week of June, so we hope we can hang out a little bit when you're not too busy.