I learned a new term today. Something I'd never heard of and certainly never thought was offered in Cedar City, Utah. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. The idea is that families and individuals in a community become "members" of a local farm and enjoy their "share" organic produce grown by the farm. CSAs are set up differently by each farm, but the idea really speaks to me. I pay the farm to become a member of the CSA, and each week, I can pick up a basket of freshly picked organic produce. By becoming a member, I am not only feeding my family the freshest, most healthy food that I can, but also I am supporting my local community by putting my money into local business.

Not that becoming a member of a CSA is without risk. I, by agreeing to become a member, also agree to bear my share of the risks associated with the farm. If the farm is unable to produce a large crop of food because of weather or other unforseen risks, then I won't be bringing home as much food as I planned.
Today I found a CSA currently operating in Cedar City. They are called Red Acre Farm, and are located not too far from my home in Enoch. After talking with my husband about it, we decided to try it out, so I just finished paying for my "Spring share." Only time will tell if the excitement I'm currently feeling is justified. For more information about Red Acre Farm and thier CSA, their website is: http://www.redacrefarmcsa.org/
Has anyone reading this been a member/shareholder of a CSA? What did you like/not like about it?





No comments:
Post a Comment